Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Rand Paul Makes a Fatal Mistake


Sen. Rand Paul, a member of the Foreign Relations Committee, explains why he changed his mind and decided to vote to confirm CIA Director Mike Pompeo to shift to the position of Secretary of State. Paul spoke about his conversations with Pompeo and the president that changed his mind. He had been the only Republican senator holding out on supporting the president's nominee.
"I've talked to Mike Pompeo again and again and again," Paul said. "And I've talked to the president again and again. And what I hear from the president is no one is changing his mind, these wars were ill-advised, and his goal is to get us out of most of these wars. So, I actually want Trump to be Trump. I want people around him who will give him the advice, and not try to persuade him perpetual war is the answer."
"[Pompeo] assures me that he does understand that the Iraq War was a mistake. I'd like to hear it a little more to others other than myself, but that's what I'm hearing from him and the president," he also said.
Paul said he also spoke to the president today about ending mass surveillance: "I haven't been given anything, promised anything. I don't get a bridge built somewhere, but I have asked that we consider the liberty of the individual in the Constitution, and I have been assured by the president that there will be a discussion... of things the administration can do to have Fourth Amendment protections for Americans."
"So with all that being said, I've changed my mind," Paul said. "I do take him at his word that he has incorporated the idea that the Iraq War was a mistake... I do think the country understands that the Afghan War has gone on for 18 years, and they're ready for some other ideas. I hope they'll let Trump be Trump and Pompeo will be a constructive influence."

No comments:

Post a Comment